Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thrown in the Mix

When I arrived at Towson I had never more excited about something. Then the excitement increased along with the nerves. I arrived at the company meeting and was told that I was going to be an understudy for the Alvin Ailey pieces they were presenting at the spring concert.

"Ummmm, WHAT!?" I thought in my head. Theses people have been practicing these dances since November and I'm being thrown in at the drop of the pin.

I learned the pieces, never expecting to actually have to do them.

I remember the day before we had our school showing, where all the students are invited for a lower price. As I hear a scream from outside the dressing room, and I run out and Will, a guy in the dance company, is on the ground and his toe is gushing blood. The first thing that rushes to my mind is "Oh My GOD, I have never learned his part.

Thursday rolls around and Mrs. Linda's words ring in my ears, "Lance, it's time to step up."

I remember feeling extremely nauseous during warm up, the room felt cold and I was scared out of my wits. I was back stage sweating bullets as the intro music was playing. The curtain rose and I have never felt like a curtain rose slower in my life.

I started the movement which was slow controlled walk at a diagonal. Even though it was a simple movement it was very important. I was heading for the train and I had to act as if I were missing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment