Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pushing excellence

As I turn over and slam my hand down on my blaring alarm clock, I take a look outside at what looks to be a pretty day. I swing my legs around to stand up and head to the shower, but it doesn't go according to plan. I collapse to the ground and wonder why I can't seem to walk even two steps.

"Oh yea, I had Susie, Runqiao, and LD last Friday."

The fact that I am in so pain is not a bad thing. It only means that my body is getting stronger. So as I stumble to the shower and take a quick one, so that I can get to Susie's class and warm-up. After I get out of the shower, I get ready and I grab my ballet shoes and I am out the door.

I arrive at the Center for the Arts around 10:40-ish and book it up the stairs. There is nothing littler then the amount of time a dance major has between classes. I grab a water and a bagel, pay, and then its back down those three flights of stairs. I literally scarf down the bagel, drink a little bit of water, and head in.

When I enter I look around and I don't see classmates, I see a family. Being in the Towson Dance department is like being in a big family, everyone knows everyone and we all get along (sometimes), I mean families fight too? Right?

I grab my ballet shoes, just then I hear the door open and in walks Susan Mann (Susie for short). I didn't get time to warm up but I know Susan's barre work will be just enough to get me fully warm. We get through the barre and it's time for center work, which I love. Susan always accommodates to the boys when she has them in her class, and she gets pretty intense about our work. She gives us this one combination and stresses the fact of height, and how men in ballet always need a lot of height.

Step back, developpe, glissade, assemble battu,  sissone, pas de bourree, glissade, assemble batu, pique arabesque, chasse, grand jete en tournent. I got the combination right away, but when the boys were done Susan was not satisfied, and you know she isn't satisfied because she gets really intense about things. She told the boys including me that we need to use our plie, that plie will save us. Also that we need more height...ON EVERYTHING. The assemble batu's need to be higher and the grand jete en tournent needs to peek right at the begginning.

The teacher's don't get on us to be picky, the get on us to be helpful. They care about us and want us to be our best, but also they want us to dance for as long as possible.

The class continues and we wrap up with a reverence. Then it's back up stairs to get another quick snack and then it's back to the dance section of the CFA for another class....

No comments:

Post a Comment